Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Gloves in a bottle

When I was offered the chance to try a new hand lotion called "Gloves in a Bottle" I jumped at it. Wintertime is dry to begin with, but then add in a baby/toddler and all the germs they create. Gloves in a bottle sounded exactly like what I needed.

The lotion itself is pretty good. Not too oily, not too watery. I'm picky about my lotion. I don't want it to feel like I've just rubbed water over my hands, but I don't like greasy either. This rubs in well and my skin does feel soft afterwards. I wouldn't say its absolutely My Favorite Ever, but its good.

The makers of Gloves in a Bottle claim that it does something most lotions do not. Instead of just replacing your natural moisture with artificial moisture (which then washes or rubs rights off), the ingredients need to get below the second layer of skin where it can actually add to your natural moisture level. They claim that their lotion will not wash off, but will come off naturally with exfoliated skin cells.

This sounds good in theory, but with all the news of contaminants and poisons getting into our bodies, I wasn't sure that I wanted something going deeper in than it already is. I contacted the company to see what they had to say.

They explained that the lotion is not actually entering your skin, but is bonding with it, helping it to do its job as a barrier, then coming off naturally in a few hours. This does seem like the best of both worlds - a lotion that doesn't wash off, but still comes off on its own, while not actually penetrating below skin level. They even sent me a link to a page listing and explaining their ingredients, as well as a material safety sheet. I really appreciated their willingness to publish this information and make it public and available.

So there you have it. Gloves in a Bottle.

No comments: